When you become pregnant, you will start preparing for the arrival of your baby. You will choose an obstetrician and a pediatrician. You will decide whether you will use cloth diapers or disposable diapers. You will also have to decide whether you will be bottle feeding or breastfeeding.
Who Ever Thought That There Might Be Disadvantages to Breastfeeding?
Usually, when we hear about breastfeeding, we only hear the good things about it – how beneficial it is to the baby, how special it is for the baby and the mother, and more. Who ever thought that there might be disadvantages to breastfeeding? There are definite disadvantages, but those disadvantages are usually downplayed in an effort to get more women to breastfeed their babies.
The Top Ten Disadvantages of Breastfeeding Your Baby
1. There can be discomfort involved with breastfeeding. When you first start breastfeeding, you may experience sore nipples. For the entirety of your breastfeeding endeavors, your breasts may feel swollen or engorged.
2. You may leak milk at times that are inconvenient or embarrassing. When the baby cries, you almost immediately start producing milk. If you aren’t prepared for this properly, it can be inconvenient or embarrassing.
3. Feeding your baby in public may be more difficult. While public acceptance of breastfeeding is improving, there are still some situations where you need to cover yourself while breastfeeding – despite how hot it is outdoors.
4. Everything you consume is being passed on to your baby. Any food you eat, medication you use, or anything that you are applying to your skin can and most likely will be passed onto your baby through breastfeeding.
5. You need special clothing and bras for breastfeeding. Nursing bras are expensive, and you will also need shirts that button up the front in most cases. While these bras are more comfortable these days, they don’t offer the greatest comfort in the world.
6. Your baby will start sprouting teeth at some point. This can be very painful. Prepare to be bitten when your baby starts cutting teeth. If you look at the nipple on a baby bottle, after a teething baby has used it, you can see that he or she has been essentially rubbing their gums – with those sharp little stubs of teeth – on the nipple.
7. The shape and appearance of your breasts can change. While this doesn’t happen to all women, most women report that their nipples become larger and change colors, and some women experience sagging breasts earlier when they breastfeed their babies.
8. The father may feel excluded. This is usually remedied by pumping the milk and placing it in a bottle so that the father can feed the child, but without this effort, the father could very well feel excluded and may fail to properly bond with the baby.
9. The ability to produce, pump and store enough milk can be a problem. If your child goes to the babysitter or daycare, you will need to pump and store enough breast milk in advance. If you don’t produce enough milk to store milk, and to keep the baby fed, this can be a big issue.
10. You can’t measure how much milk your baby is consuming. Some babies need more milk than others, while some need less. Unless you are pumping the milk and measuring it with a bottle, you won’t have any real measure of how much milk your baby is consuming.
Considering the Advantages and Disadvantages of Breastfeeding
When you consider the disadvantages of breastfeeding, you must also consider the advantages. The advantages include good nutrition for your baby and a healthier baby. There are also health benefits for you, as your uterus will go back to its normal size faster, you will get your baby weight off faster, and you will reduce your risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
April 6th, 2010
Breastfeeding has become an issue of such importance there are organisations and numerous studies devoted to the topic. It has caused controversy in some quarters, and there continues...
For most women, hepatitis C is diagnosed when they are pregnant – or when they visit a doctor for a checkup once they have decided to try to get pregnant. Hepatitis C can be...
When you travel out of your home country, you often need vaccinations before undertaking that travel. Often, this is a choice, but in some cases, depending on the country that...
If you are expecting your first baby, you have to make an important decision that could essentially affect your child’s life in the present and the future. You have to decide...
Steps taken during pregnancy can boost your child’s intelligence according to researchers. Besides genetics there are other factors that contribute to intelligence of the child...
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.