There are a multitude of illegal drugs being abused daily throughout the world. According to the National Institute for Drug Abuse among some of the most common drugs being used today include Marijuana, Cocaine, Ecstasy, Methamphetamine and Heroin. As these drugs become more readily available and cheaper to acquire their popularity has increased among drug abusers.
Use Continues Despite the Risks
Most people who abuse illegal drugs are very aware of the health risks they pose. They continue to use the drugs despite these risks and the risks of imprisonment should they be caught with the drugs. Drug use can cause such a strong addiction that the abuser is willing to risk anything and everything to obtain the drug and attempt to experience the effects it gives them.
The 5 Most Common Illegal Drugs Being Used Today
- 5. Heroin – This drug can be injected, smoked or snorted. There is a high risk of contracting HIV/AIDS due to frequent sharing of needles with those already infected. The drug causes drowsiness, nausea, confusion, respiratory depression or arrest, coma, tolerance and addiction among many other health risks.
- 4. Methamphetamine – Increasing availability is rapidly raising the popularity of methamphetamine. The drug is highly addictive and comes in a variety of concentrations. The use of this drug has increased presenting the concern that it may become the new cocaine within 10 years. Effects of this drug include but are not limited to violence and aggression, increased blood pressure and heart rate, memory loss, neurological and cardiac damage, heart failure, tolerance and addiction.
- 3. Ecstasy – The party drug of choice for many people wanting to enhance their social experience who do not realize they will become addicted. This drug can cause confusion, anxiety and depression. With regular use of the drug these symptoms can continue for weeks after using the drug.
- 2. Cocaine – considered being many times more dangerous it is almost as common as marijuana. Highly addictive it can be smoked, snorted, eaten or injected. Among some effects of this drug are increases in body temperature, heart rate, blood pressure and metabolism.
- 1. Marijuana – It can be found in every small town and every large city across the country. It remains the most popular drug of choice for teenagers and adults. Marijuana is considered to be a gateway drug to more dangerous drugs. It causes euphoria, confusion, decreased thought processing and reaction time, impaired coordination, increased heart rate, panic attacks, tolerance, addiction and other symptoms.
Get Help to Stop Using the 5 Most Common Illegal Drugs
If you or someone you love is addicted to illegal drugs there is help available. There are many resources that are free to help beat drug addiction. Contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administrations National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Service at 1-800-662-HELP (4357) to be directed to help near you. Drug treatment programs can also be found online listed by state at www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov .Stop using drugs and begin living your life.
July 7th, 2010
At one time, we worried that our children were obtaining and using illegal drugs. Then we had to worry about our children finding and using our prescription medications in an attempt...
Do you suspect that your child is on drugs? Is it possible that you unknowingly have been contributing to his or her drug use? It is very important that all adults have a good...
Most men fear impotence. Most teenaged boys think such a condition will never happen to them – but it can, and it does happen more often than you might think. Just as there are...
Have you visited your local discount pharmacy to buy cough drops lately? Were you shocked to find that they are no longer available to you on the shelves, and that you have to...
With television, newspapers, and the internet, you would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to know about the drug problems we have in the United States, as well as other countries....
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.